James Sawyer Holman

James Sawyer Holman was born in Templeton, Worcester, Massachusetts, on 17 September 1805 to Jonathan Holman, Jr. and Zilpha Sawyer.  Her early life was spent on his father’s farm.  When he was thirteen years old his mother died, causing a great trial to him.  Lather his father married again but no children were born in this union.  In his young manhood he went to New York where he continued his farm work.  Here he met Naomi R. LeBaron, the daughter of David LeBaron and Azuba King.  She was born on the 7th October 1816, in LeRoy, Genessee, New York.  They were married 24th March 1833.  Their oldest child, Harriet Naomi, was born on the 28th of January 1834 in Stafford, Genessee, New York.  The young couple joined the church soon after its organization, being baptized the 22nd of September 1834.  He received his patriarchal blessing from Joseph Smith Sr. in February of 1835 in Kirtland, Ohio.

They moved to Beaver, Crawford, Pennsylvania in 1835 where their second child, James Alonzo was born 1st September 1835.  James and Naomi moved to Kirkland in 1837-1838.  On 14th May 1837, James was ordained a member of the Third Quorum of Seventies.  Sarah Melissa was born on 18th November 1838.

In 1838 he was called to go to northern Missouri with the Kirkland camp.  They had three children at this point.  Here the family learned by actual experience of the trials and persecutions of the saints and of their mobbing and driving.  Their home was three miles from the Carthage Jail where the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum, were so cruelly murdered.  They owned six lots in Nauvoo and belonged to the Nauvoo 4th Ward, the same ward the prophet belonged to.  Their fourth child, Zilpha was born on 16th February 1840, but passed away the following October.  Susan Adaline was born the following year, 7 October 1841.  Sanford was born just before the martyrdom of the prophet, 18 June 1844.  Silas was born 7 October 1846.  When persecution became so bitter they could endure it no longer, they gathered together their little family and what they could take with them and bidding farewell to home and city and the comforts they had been able to accumulate in those few years, they moved on with the Saints to start a new home.

The call came to go west and James Sawyer started with the pioneers in the Franklin D. Richards Company.  When they reached Mt. Pisgah James was called by President Brigham Young to dire the sheep the saints had across the plains.  He must go on leaving his wife and six children, the youngest a babe, only a few months old, behind until the following year.

James S. reached the Salt Lake valley with the sheep in September of 1847.  James S. then remained in the valley until the spring of 1848 and then returned to help James Alonzo, his oldest son, who had started out across the plains with his mother and the other children.  They traveled with the Charles C. Rich Company for the trek.  They arrived in the valley together between the 20th and 24 of September in 1848.  They moved into the Old Fort where they remained during the winter.  In the spring of 1849 they moved out north of the city and started to build a new home in Bountiful.

They planted and cultivated their crops and when everything began to look well, on came the crickets.  You know the story, how they fought those crickets from daylight till dark, men women, and children, until it looked as if they would lose everything.  Then that Divine Providence that had guarded their destinies thus far sent the Sea Gulls to devour the crickets, which they did.

During the fall of 1849 we learn from “My Life’s Review” of Benjamin Franklin Johnson, that James S. moved back to Salt Lake and took up interest with Benjamin F. Johnson.  Benjamin owned a saddlery business and a drug store.  Harriet Naomi, daughter of James S. and niece of Benjamin’s first wife was sealed to Benjamin on 17th March 1850.  James built a house on Benjamin’s city lot in the 16th ward.  On the 14th of May 1850, Emma Jane was born.  It was during the 1849-1859 winter the George A. Smith called Benjamin to make a settlement at what was then called Little Salt Lake.  This didn’t happen until 1851 but it played a part in what James S. decided to do.  James S. and Benjamin farmed during the summer of 1850, planting a large apple garden in the spring of 1851.  President Young invited Benjamin on an exploring party.  The second night out they camped at Summit Creek (Santaquin).  It was a beautiful spot.  Brigham Young asked Benjamin if he’d like to settle a colony there and Benjamin said, “yes”.  During the fall of 1851, before cold weather came, James S. went with Benjamin to colonize Santaquin.  They built housed there and also sent hands to Salt Creek (Nephi) to build a house.  George W. Johnson, brother of Benjamin, went with them.  George W. later colonized Fountain Green in 1859.

During the first winter, they spent much of their time preparing for spring crops.  It was during this time that David Ellis was born, 30 December 1852.  Wheat and other crops were planted in the spring of 1852.  When Benjamin was called on a mission to the Sandwich Islands in October of 1852, James S. was called to be Bishop of Santaquin at the suggestion of Benjamin on 4 October 1852.  He was also asked to see after Benjamin’s family and property while Benjamin was away.  Previous to his call, Benjamin had asked James S. for another daughter as his wife, Sarah Melissa, a younger sister of Harriet.  She cheerfully accepted but realized it might be years before he returned so she changed her mind.  She was beautiful and witty and perhaps, loved too much by Benjamin.  Summit Creek was created 21 May 1853 by the county court.  During the summer of 1853 the Indians attacked Summit Creek (Santaquin), killed some of the brethren, wounded others, and compelled the remainder to flee to Payson.  All was lost in Santaquin.  Locust destroyed the wheat crop in Payson in the fall of 1854 and again in the spring of 1855.  In June of 1855 James S. joined with Benjamin, who had just returned from his mission, and his family in resettling Summit Creek, which they began calling Santaquin.  Benjamin was the President of the Santaquin Branch and James S. the Bishop.  Benjamin presided over the ward and James S. worked with the tithing only.  James Alonzo, their oldest on, was married to Sarah Ann Mathis in November of 1855.

On 3 February 1856, President Brigham Young married Benjamin F. Johnson to Sarah Melissa Holman.  The year of 1857 proved to be a season of great scarcity of for bread.  They had milk, gathered greens, and dug roots.  The wheat had to be pulled up by the roots or cut with a knife.  It was during this time that Benjamin had a dream in which he was to marry Susan Holman.  He soon won her over and they were married, this being the third daughter of Bishop Holman whom he married.  During the winter of 1857, James S. assisted Benjamin in fitting out Reece Lewellyn, who arrived by handcart in Salt Lake in 1856 upon Ranger, a fine horse for Echo Canyon where our troops were fortified against the U. S. Army.  The army was at Fort Bridger and our men in Echo Canyon.  The First Presidency deemed it necessary to evacuate Salt Lake City and every settlement north of Provo and all prepared for the general move, which began in April and continued until every city was abandoned and prepared for burning.  Such was the condition and feeling of the people when Governor Cumming, the Governor of the Territory, arrived in advance of the army in Salt Lake City, to find it desolate.  He was followed by the U.S. Army, which marched through the city without halting and established “Camp Floyd” in Cedar Valley.  The people returned to their homes by the 1st of July.

Three children were born while Jams S. and Naomi lived in Santaquin.  David, Charles, and Lydia, all of them died as babies.  Privations and hardships played that part.  The death of their babies was a great sorrow to the family.  They had three children living with them at this time, Sanford, Silas, and Emma.  Zilpha their third child, died in Kirkland.  James A. was married and the three older daughters, Harriet, Sarah, and Susan were married to Benjamin F. Johnson.

In March of 1859, George W. Johnson, brother of Benjamin, was called from his home in Santaquin to start a colony at Uinta Springs (Fountain Green).

He and his son, Amos P. Johnson, made a trip to Uinta Springs to see the area.  The land was surveyed and a city plat was made in July of 1859.  The new colony was christened “Fountain Green” because of the water running from a spring in the mountain and spreading over the beautiful grass meadow below.  Indians stole their horses while they were surveying the land so they walked back to Santaquin.

James S. and family along with Reese R. Lewellyn were among the first settlers to help George W. Johnson build a colony.  James S. and Naomi had their last child in Fountain Green, Isaac Lester Holman, who was born 21 December 1859.  He was the first baby born in Fountain Green.  Their cabin, the second built in Fountain Green, still stands.  A few years later they moved to Holden, Millard County, Utah, where James S. died on the 21st of June 1873.  He was not an old man, being only 68, but the hardships he had endured made him look old and worn out.  He died suddenly having worked in the garden during the morning.  At noon he complained of not feeling well and laid down to rest.  He passed away during the afternoon.

Taken from http://holmansofamerica.blogspot.com

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *